Friday, September 25, 2009

I <3 Geeks

OK I promise this one has nothing to do with Twilight. But it does involve another one of my favorite authors, A.J. Jacobs. If you haven't read any of his books - WTF are you waiting for? His books are absolutely hilarious and educational to boot. I've read them all, "The Two Kings: Jesus and Elvis"and "The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World" in which he takes you through his journey of reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica from A-Z, then "The Year Living Biblically" which not so surprisingly is where he literally spends one year of his life attempting to live by the rules of the bible, to his most recent release "The Guinea Pig Diaries" which is a collection of shorter essays on some of the other experiments he lived through in the interest of writing. i have to admit I had a bit of a literary crush on him based on 3 main qualities:

1. He's insanely funny.
2. He reminds me of me - which, now that I think of it, is kind of a creepy reason to have a crush on someone.
3. He's Jewish (I'm not by the way - someday perhaps I will have to explain my love for all things Jewish but now is not the time.)

MY POINT IS ... I heard through a friend last week that A.J. was going to be speaking a Synagogue in D.C. October 1st (I know that sounds weird but this is a super cool synagogue that not only has worship services but also hosts shows like "The Eels" and comedians like Michael Ian Black and movies like "The Big Lebowski" in it's down-time.) I've been psyched to hear A.J. talk and get my books signed for several days now and then tonight to top it off, I happened to be watching The Colbert Report and who was the guest??? A.J. Jacobs, of course. I couldn't have been more excited. I paused the television and yelled for my husband to stop what he was doing and come watch with me. But as soon as A.J. opened his mouth I was stunned.








What's up with the voice A.J. ???


To be fair, I still love him. But it has forced me to realize something about myself. I am a nerd lover - to the bone. There is no denying it now. To my husband: I apologize, I never thought you were that much of a nerd but apparently there is no escaping it.

4 comments:

Buggys September 27, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

Why haven't I read his books? Can I borrow? You are drawn to nerds because you are, yourself, a bit of a nerd. Surprised?

Patricia Rockwell September 28, 2009 at 1:09 PM  

Hey, I love nerds too. I married one.

Buggys September 29, 2009 at 7:11 PM  

Go to the website and click on vote at upper left corner then look for the pic.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP