Saturday, July 11, 2009

Reader's Block

Urban Dictionary ,although bloated with nonsense, has some serious gems. I wanted to share with you one that caught my attention.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reader's Block: "this is when you cannot, for the life of you, pick up a book and read it. Sure, you may be able to read a paragraph or two, or maybe even a page, but you don't retain anything of what you just read or have the attention span and/or will to go on. This is common for those who have ADD, are in possession of garbage literature, or are just so exhausted from having to read so many books during school/college that reading anything else, even for pleasure, has become impossible. To those who love to read, this is worse than heart disease and cancer combined."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haven't we all been there? Especially in school when you were reading things, whether they be novels or text books, that you really had no interest in. You get through a sentence, a paragraph, a page or even an entire chapter and have no idea what you just read. In my case, it's usually because my mind was wondering on other topics like:

Hmm, what the hell am I going to wear to work tomorrow? I don't have any clean pants but I haven't shaved my legs in like a fortnight so I can't wear a skirt. OK then what's worse...
1) Wearing dirty pants
2) Doing laundry
3) Shaving my legs
Maybe I'll compromise -- just shave up to the knee and wear capris.

Meanwhile my eyes were looking at the words on the page but not taking any of it in. I would go a step further and add an alternate definition to Reader's Block as well. Like when you are an avid reader but just cannot find a good book. I currently have 5 books on my bedside table and I am in the middle of reading each of them. None of them have grabbed my attention enough to commit but I won't give up on them either.

9 comments:

Liz Mays July 11, 2009 at 2:05 PM  

Ahhh, I have done this so many times. I'll make repeated efforts but if after 5 attempts, I'm still reading the same paragraph, I throw the book on the floor, turn off the lamp, and commence sleeping. :)

Cher Duncombe July 11, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

I had to laugh about reader's block! I will buy a book and give it 100 pages to grab my attention. If it hasn't happened by then, the book gets shelved and makes my library look fuller. No one ever asks about this book or that book, so for all I know when peole see my library, they are impressed that I read so much. Win-win!

MonsteRawr July 11, 2009 at 11:59 PM  

Worse than death. Worse. Than. Death.

Unlikely Oilfield Wife July 12, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

This happens more and more to me lately when I try to get into a book. It's like my attention span is dwindling the older I get. And LOL at the "shave up to the knee and wear capris", I've so been there!

Buggys July 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM  

I choose D.) All Of The Above. This is multiple choice right?

Lin July 12, 2009 at 10:43 PM  

I like the shave up to the knee and wear capris. Nobody will figure it out.

Carrie Wells July 13, 2009 at 8:13 AM  

I also have 5 books next to my bed that I can't finish. What's up with that? They sounded so good when I read the back, but they sure don't deliver.

The Bee July 14, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

@blue: believe me - each of these books has had their chance at the floor throw.

@cherlock: agreed - a full book shelf makes me feel smarter (even when I KNOW I didnt read them all)

@wife: I don't think my attention span is dwindling with age but I do think my tastes are changing - I might be becoming more of a book snob and I don't think I like it.

@Buggys: option D is - screw it all and call out sick. I am a fan of this option.

@Lin: The capris thing is my patented move - I enlist it frequently.

@Carrie: Sometimes I wonder if the person who wrote the back covr was even reading the same book as me!

Rhymenoceros December 18, 2010 at 2:03 PM  

Hey there! Thanks for referencing my "Reader's Block" entry! I just got the odd urge today to Google the word and see what kind of proliferation of the word there's been since I posted it. Glad to stumble upon this!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP