Sunday, July 12, 2009

How about Peacock?

While we should be working on our backyard this summer, we instead chose to do some painting on the interior. When we moved into this house, about two years ago, the kitchen was covered in blue and pink floral wall paper and the living room had 3 white walls and one that was badly sponge painted with green and what I can only imagine was supposed to be yellow. Needless to say within in a week, thanks to my sister and some friends, we had ripped down the wallpaper and painted over everything! Well, almost everything.; my husband the carpenter insisted that he was going to tile the back splash so we left that unfinished. NOTE TO HUSBAND: TWO YEARS LATER, THERE IS STILL NO TILE IN THE KITCHEN - WHEN DO YOU THINK YOU MIGHT GET AROUND TO THAT? The rest of the kitchen walls we did with "cappuccino foam" which is an obnoxious way of saying - light beige. We carried this neutral into most of the living room but I needed a splash of life somewhere. Purple has been my favorite color since childhood and maybe its just me but I've always dreamed of owning my own place so I could paint the walls any color I wanted. Remember the show Punky Brewster? If you're an 80's girl like me I know the answer to that question. Now do you remember that when she moved in with Henry he let her paint her bedroom and she did it all crazy and rainbow?? How freaking awesome was that? So there was really no option here - my purple fantasy was about to come true. DON'T BE SCARED. I'm not crazy enough to go with Barney purple. It was a very dull color actually. I wish I could remember what it was called ... anyway here are a few pictures of the before.






I hope you're not too distracted by our amazing furniture or the green carpet which was there when we moved in. Focus on the wall color kids. What do you think? Was I totally crazy or is it better than you expected? Either way it's gone now; we covered those two walls on Saturday with my new color de jour. A few months ago when I decided that I wanted to do this and consequenlty started trying to talk my husband into it, he thought I had lost my mind. I then attempted to enlist the support of our friends and family but it backfired and they were basically all on his side. I would describe the color as "peacock" and their eyes would get all scared. I didn't give up that easily and eventually got most of them on my side. (Maybe they were just sick of hearing me talk about it.) But, it's done now - it's actually a bit more green that this picture shows. What do you think? Should I have left it purple -- should I have left the green sponge paint?



9 comments:

Carrie Wells July 13, 2009 at 8:09 AM  

LOVE the color. It's one of my favorites!

Buggys July 13, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

WOW! I like the color. I really want to see it against the picture hanging over by your desk! Same color? Different? Looks great.

Carrie, you can easily visit Cute as a Buggy when you are here you know. Buggy enjoys comments as well.

Lin July 13, 2009 at 3:33 PM  

No, I like the bold color. Of course, everyone who sees it will be like "ooooh, that's blue" but they will LOVE it. Take it from a gal who had a Kelly green kitchen for 4 years. Everyone had a smart@ss comment, but sheesh, they were sad when I covered it. I miss it too. Keep it bold, chicky.

MonsteRawr July 13, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

I can't say it's what I would pick for my own house, (such dark walls make me feel claustrophobic,) but if it's what makes you smile and sigh at the end of the day, then I say Huzzah!

The Bee July 14, 2009 at 9:07 AM  

@Carrie: Thanks! It's my new obsession color, can't get enough of it.
@ Buggys: I had a pic of the "after" where you could see the picture on the left but it was blurry -- just so you know it is the same basic color as the mat but a good bit darker. Looks ok to me.
@Lin: Yes! bold colors FTW. What's the fun in having white walls??
@ Monste: I feel you on the dark walls thing but it a big room with french doors on one wall that let in lots of light, plus the other walls in the room are all beige so it balances.

Cher Duncombe July 14, 2009 at 4:28 PM  

I really love bold colors, but they don't work in every house, mine for example. I have tried but it fell short of blending in with the theme of the house. Yours looks great! I would paint over anything that had sponge paint! There should be an internetional NO sign on it.

Veronica Lee July 14, 2009 at 5:52 PM  

I love the vibrant colour! Great choice.

Andrea July 15, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

OK, so here's the thing. I have had at one time in the past 10 years both of those same colors. I allowed my daughter and step-daughter, through their teen years, to pick the color of their bedroom walls. Needless to say we've had your two colors, plus deep red, neon green and the shade of yellow of "The Bee" on your blog. Now that the kids have grown and gone (almost) I've gone back to tans and beiges and I HATE IT! I want some color back!

You go with it - it looks great!

vange July 18, 2009 at 7:12 PM  

The peacock is well described and gorgeous!
I much prefer it to the purple. Well done!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP