Friday, July 3, 2009

Smurfs Movie?

Yes it's true - I just read that Columbia Pictures and Sony are getting ready to make a Smurfs movie. I guess it was inevitable; its becoming a common thing to take children's television shows from the 80's and turn them into movies (Transformers anyone?) Some of these turn out pretty good but others, like G.I. Joe, are destined for the discount DVD bin.

I have to say that I am seriously looking forward to Spike Jonze's Where The Wild Things Are. I'm not sure it's going to be 'kid friendly' but being as how I don't have kids ... I don't really care, adult friendly works for me. I'm so glad they went with live-action on this one and the puppets from Jim Henson Creature Shop are going to be amazing.



Another one I'm looking forward to is Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. The original Disney version was my absolute favorite movie as a kid. I've seen every subsequent version that I've been able to get my hands on (and there are MANY). I even own "The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll" as well as "Lewis Carroll, Photographer" (a fabulous gift from my sister!); both of which I recommend to any Alice fans. "Still She Haunts Me" is another great book about the relationship between Charles Dodgson and the real life Alice; its a bit disturbing but definitely intriguing. But back to the movie - I'm a little nervous about Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter only because his Willy Wonka was so horrific, but I have faith that they will pull it off in the end.




So which television shows or books from your childhood would you like to see remade into big screen movies and who would you cast or have direct?

2 comments:

Buggys July 4, 2009 at 11:31 PM  

Loved the Smurfs in the 80's. Don't know what it will be like now, I'm game to try though. I am curious about the rating on the Wild Things movie, hmmmm. Bee, please read my newest post as it involves you.

Francis Scudellari July 7, 2009 at 2:18 PM  

Alice and Wild Things would actually be at the top of my list. I always liked the book Phantom Tollbooth too. They made an animated version of it, that was ok. And I'm also a sucker for anything Seuss (unless Jim Carey is involved).

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP