Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Team Taylor

I was torn when I went to see New Moon this weekend. There were some really great improvements in this movie as compared to Twilight but I can't help but come away with an overall disappointed feeling. To make it worse ... I wasn't even expecting it to be all that great. The first movie wasn't great and we all know the movie is never as good as the book but that shouldn't stop the producers from at least trying right?

I could go on and on about this and bore everyone to tears but instead I'm just going to list out what I saw as (to use one of my husband's favorite movies) The Good, The Bad and The Ugly parts of The Twilight Saga: New Moon. (And because he was such a trooper going to the movie with me and suffering through all the girlie squealing from the audience - I'm giving my husband's opinions as well)

The Good:
  • Taylor Lautner: Not only is he super cute but also one of the better actors in the central cast.
  • They FINALLY got The Meadow right! Making Bella and Edward's meadow dead and brown when Bella goes in search of a way to connect to Edward after he leaves was nicely done - a point that would have been even more appreciated by movie goers if they hadn't completely botched the meadow scene in the first movie.
  • The Volturi: Michael Sheen and Dakota Fanning were great and I can't wait to see more of them in the next two movies.
  • Bella's school friends: Once again these kids were some scene-stealing bitches and I love them for it. They add a much needed sense of light and humor to the movies.
  • The 360 shot of Bella: Something that I think Stephenie Meyer did great in this book was the blank pages she added in the middle of the book to portray the emptiness and depression that Bella goes through after Edward left her. I didn't expect this to be included in the movie but when I saw it - at the risk of sounding cheesy - it took my breath away.
  • The Soundtrack!
  • Jasper attacking Bella at the birthday party (my husband's opinion)
The Bad:
  • Pretty much every scene with Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson together: It's my humble opinion that Kristen Stewart could not act her way out of a paper bag and to make things worse she has dragged Robert Pattinson down with her. The two of them need to get over themselves. Every time either of them was on screen it was just awkward and painful to watch. Ms. Stewart seems to think that the key to good dramatic acting is biting her lip and shaking her head. What I wouldn't give to be able to get in a time machine and stab Catherine Hardwick in the neck before she made that casting decision.
  • Not enough wolf-pack! These guys were great and - like the school friends - added some much needed fun. Can't wait to see more of them in the next movies.
  • The death scene for Laurent (my husband's opinion)
The Ugly (and I do mean UGLY):
  • Did I mention that Kristen's acting is ridiculous? because it is
  • Pizza Toss / Wrench grab: During a montage of Bella and Jacob's budding relationship there is a moment where she throws a slice of pizza over her shoulder, seemingly to Jacob, then the camera switches to him and he throws his hand up, seemingly to catch the pizza, but instead he catches a wrench. I don't know how to properly describe this disaster but trust me it was L-A-M-E.
  • Jacob taking off his shirt (my husband's opinion - major eye rolling included)
So what do you guys think? Did I miss anything? Do you agree that Kristen Stewart should be working in a Hot Topic somewhere instead of acting or am I being too harsh? Do you love Taylor Lautner as much as me or are you still hanging on to Team Rob. (btw - as far as the book is concerned I'm totally Team Edward - but as far as the actors go I am now fully on board with Team Taylor)

Also - since it truly was my favorite scene in the movie I have included a video here. It is just a fan-made video for the song used in the scene, Possibility by Lykke Li but if you jump to minute 1:43 you'll see a small piece of the 360 scene. Also, totally worth noting, the song choice was unbelievable. Check out the lyrics here too.





5 comments:

Buggys November 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM  

You just made me decide to read these books. Who has them? I want them. That video was very enticing and nothing like I imagined. Nothing "Dark Shadows" about it.
Nicely written review.

The Bee November 24, 2009 at 7:35 PM  

LOL - ok I had to google "Dark Shadows" looks interesting. btw looks what I found out:

Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are collaborating yet again to bring this series back to life. Johnny Depp will play the lead role of Barnabas.

I'm guessing you weren't a fan so this might not be exciting news for you. lol

JuneZach November 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

Some of your points are true and I agree with them.

I am really not that fanatic with the Twilight Saga to be honest but there are some parts of it that I like. ^_^

Regarding Tim Burton and Johnny Depp collaborating again, sounds perfect!

Anonymous,  November 29, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

A little late I know, sorry. I too loved the books. My biggest beef with the movies is the hesitant dialogue. A dramatic pause can be used quite effectively but to do an entire movie in it gets boring. I still loved it!

Unknown December 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

ok, I loved this movie and though I agree with most of what you've said, I have to included that even though Kristen isn't the greatest actress she IS how I imagine Bella being...

does that make sense?

I saw her on Jimmy Fallon the other night and she is just really socially awkward in real life...and I'm not a huge fan...but as Bella...I think it just fits.

TOtally agree with more of the wolf pack...

never in my life have I wanted to reread a book, ever...but this series...and the new moon movie...I so want to get my books out and read them all over again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP